imaginary outfit: weekend plans




So, hello. How are you?

I'm enjoying a do-nothing, almost worry-free hour on my couch: the new magazine I am editing went to print, I don't have any deadlines this weekend and neither does Sean, so we are sitting together, semi-dazed with exhaustion, watching Rafa, and I'm using my last active brain cells to think of fun things to do this weekend, and shop online for things I am not likely to purchase.

Last night, I got to go to the Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards. Edith Anisfield Wolf, a Cleveland poet and philanthropist, endowed the award in 1935 to recognize books that address racism and diversity. Listening to each of the winners speak, and listening to twelve-year-old Con'Yai Smith read her poem, 'Cheetah,'  and seeing the State Theater full of people to celebrate authors and diversity and social justice was more than inspiring; it was fortifying. Tomorrow, we're going to a book-themed flea and an art book and zine fair; and maybe we'll see some painted books.

Some things worth bookmarking, both heavy and light:

Wishing everyone safety and some kind of joy this weekend.